Specializing in learning excursions for 55 and older travelers, Road Scholar offers The Maya and More: History and Culture of Honduras, Guatemala and Belize, a rich itinerary highlighted by expert-led tours of the spectacular Mayan archeological sites of Copan, Tikal, Cahal Pech, Lamanai and Xunantunich. In the towns and villages of Honduras, Guatemala and Belize, travelers learn from nearly a dozen lectures and daily guided tours by authorities in the fields of ancient and contemporary Mayan art, architecture, lifestyle and science.
A sampling of the jam-packed itinerary of The Maya and More: History and Culture of Honduras, Guatemala and Belize
- Healing methods and herbal medicine of the Maya
- Chichicastenango marketplace
- Lakeside villages of Santa Catarina, San Antonio Palopo and Panajachel.
- Discussion of Guatemala, Antigua’s history and architecture, Mayan life, textiles, religious practices and the origin and evolution of Mayan music.
- San Antonio weaving cooperative
- Casa K’ojom Research Center and Museum inside Centro Cultural La Azotea
- Walking tour of UNESCO World Heritage site of Antigua’s old town and colonial churches
- Maya and Catholic religion and agriculture practices of the modern Maya.
- Scenic boat ride, indigenous bird sightings
- Interpretation of Classical period of Mayan hieroglyphics, stelae, medicine and “sacred” cacao
- Museum of Mayan Culture, Las Sepulturas
- Traditional chocolate production, visit a local school
In 2013, around 100,000 people, from seniors to grandparents and their college-age grandkids, took trips in every state and 150 countries with the nonprofit Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel), which this year marks its 40th anniversary. Read here a short interview with Road Scholar CEO.
Details of The Maya and More: History and Culture of Honduras, Guatemala and Belize
- See here a detailed daily itinerary.
- 14 nights, all meals
- $3,285 pp varies based on date, departure city
- Departures: Fall 2015 through Spring 2016
- Activity level: moderately challenging
- Comprehensive travel insurance included