An insider cuisine and culture tour of Manhattan’s most vibrant and historic neighborhood, Taste Harlem is the brainchild of Jacqueline Orange, an escapee from the corporate world.
She and/or her savvy, certified local guides will lead you on a 2- to 4-hour walking-and-bus expedition to casual and fine dining spots, art galleries, landmark architecture, and music venues. Between the generous tastings of soul food, Caribbean cuisine, African fare and more, you’ll learn about Harlem’s vivid history and hidden neighborhoods, and meet some of the district’s most fascinating residents.
Other stops on Taste Harlem:
- Patisserie des Ambassades Senegalese café & bakery
- Tropical Grill Restaurant Caribbean & Spanish food
- Make My Cake Bakery
- Le Lee’s Baked Goods “home of the world’s most outrageously delicious rugelach”
- Jacob Restaurant soul food & salad bar
- World-famous circa 1934 Apollo Theater
- Cecil Harlem – AfroAsianAmerican cuisine
- Madiba Harlem – South African food & live music
- and many more unforgettable Harlem sites
The licensed, professional New York City tour guides (historians, artists, architects and other lively locals) give each small group rich architectural commentary, historical facts, local culture and culinary insight
Think about . . . . .
- Chicken & waffles
- Oxtails, flan, mac & cheese
- Yellow rice & red beans
- Peanut butter stew Maffe
- Collard greens & black-eyed peas
- Ribs, corn bread, candied yams
- $65-$95 per person depending on group size (max 16)
- Departs at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Friday or Saturday
- Also popular are the Harlem’s Historic Faces and Places tour and Neighborhood Art Stroll Tour.
Have you been on a cuisine- or culture-focused tour in Manhattan?